Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Music in My Mind

Before I married my husband, I listened to country, pop, rock, and a little bit of everything in between. Of course, like anyone else, I thought nothing of it. My music didn't have lyrics of murder and rape and obvious crimes, you know. There was no "blatant" disrespect of God. So why not?

Chris first approached me while we were dating. He explained how the music I listed to isn't really all that healthy for me and how I should listen to healthier things. I really thought he was being judgmental and harsh and dismissed him as clueless and closed-minded. I mean, everyone else listened to the things I did. How could it be all that bad?

Right about the time we got married, he approached me again. This time he was determined to change the things that we as a family were listening to. And he wasn't really asking anymore, although he wasn't demanding in an overbearing way. And I wasn't fighting anymore because by that time I realized that since he is now my husband I should respect him by respecting his decisions (whatever they may be) to do right with and for us. Nevertheless, I still carried some reluctancy in my heart.

During the times when he was in the car with me, we kept Christian music on the radio. Early on, when it was just me, I'd change the station to get my fix on MY music. Over time, I began to see a change in me that seemed to spark from the "healthier stuff" and I eventually began listening to Christian music on my own. Today, I rarely ever listen to anything else. It took a long time to change my habits, much less my desires. But now that I'm here I see just how much the lyrics affected my heart and my perspectives. I am ever so grateful and humbled to be able to see from this side of the fence.

Listen to the words in your music. Does it promote Godly happiness and purity of heart? Does it praise God or uplift mankind's ego? Do the lyrics speak of drinking, partying and lustful acts? Does it speak of things you know you wouldn't do in the sight of a preacher, your mother/father, or even God? Does it focus on loss, wrong-doings or not so great thoughts? Does it leave you feeling depressed, sad or even in the mood to do something ungodly/stupid?

What mood does it leave you with? What do you learn from the song?
Does it build you up in your Christian walk? If not, it's unhealthy to you whether you realize it or not. Here are some scriptures that basically tell us to guard our minds and hearts from anything unheatlhy/ungodly.

  • Matthew 12:30 says, "Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me."
  • Proverbs 4:23 says, " Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life."
  • Romans 12:2 says, " Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
  • Philippians 4:8 tells us, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

I challenge you to think about what your music is doing to you, and how it's affecting your spiritual, mental and emotional state. I can relate to feeling reluctant to change. I don't dare judge you for that. We all want to "fit in" to some extent as well. We all have these struggles at first.

Another factor here is that many people deem Christian music as "dorky" or "weird". In our day in time, there are various formats of Christian music so that everyone can listen  in keeping with their own style preferences.

I challenge you to try it. Find something/someone you like who only sings Christian-based lyrics. You'll notice that your mindset and the desires of your heart will begin to change. You'll find yourself praising God, and in turn being blessed in ways you never realized were possible. If you stick with it, your habits of old will change too.

You have only to gain, nothing to lose.
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3

No comments:

Post a Comment