Wednesday, December 23, 2009

CHRISTmas


Many of us have plans to travel, or to have company at our own home during the holiday season. In my opinion. the time spent with family is the most cherished and will be the most valuable 10 years from now.

I read an article from the Upper Room Devotional http://www.upperroom.org/devotional/, in which the author talked about how we rush through the season buying gifts, shopping on our days off and running ourselves ragged. She wrote about how she and her mother made a plan to avoid buying each other gifts and instead spent the day going to church and hanging out together.

The article made me think, even so much as I'm not as heavily into the commercialization of Christmas as others, that I should take care not to overlook how God would want me to spend this season. Instead of slowing down and cherishing the little things that we tend to overlook all year, we run ourselves ragged trying shopping the season away. The most perfect gifts were truly right in front of us all along.

And what abotu this whole Santa Claus thing? I know its a tradition in many homes, and people just do it for that reason. Isn't Santa just a decoy that Satan uses to keep our eyes off of Christ? Doesn't the idea of Santa only promote the commercialization of Christmas? And when we teach our children to believe in Santa, aren't we overshadowing Christ and His birth with wordly lies?

Why not tell our children that even though Christmas is rooted from a pagan holiday, that we are going to use the season to cherish each other a little bit more? Let's ponder on the sacrafices that Mary made in her life by being humble in her submission to God's will in her life. Why not use this time to draw nearer to God, instead of letting worldy distractions keep us, and our loved ones from making the most of the holiday?

When my daughter was born, 10 years ago, this is what I decided. I haven't exactly made the best of it every year, but we have worked to keep Santa Claus from being real in our home. Some of my family has disagreed with my decision and has continued to talk the Santa talk to my kids every year. But in my heart, I know that what I am doing is best and as my children's mother, my rules win over anything else. I hope and pray that as my children grow older, this one simple rule --SANTA IS NOT REAL--will carry on as a tradition with my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I know that the God of my heart will bless them for it.

During this holiday season, I hope you will slow down and take inventory of all you have. Use it to grow closer to God and your loved ones. Rushing to buy gifts is nice, but don't let it overshadow what is truly important.

Merry Christmas to each of you. May God bless you in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment